Years 7 and 8 are a time of great development for a young person’s evolution of character and academic maturity. It is a time when a child craves independence and can begin to make more advanced decisions. It is also an experimental time, when a child needs the freedom to explore, but the cushion to be able to make mistakes and learn from these constructively.
Our Year 7 and 8 programme at St George’s focuses on the following:
- – The learning framework of the Pre-Senior Baccalaureate (PSB), guided by specialist teachers, which enables critical thinking, a deeper understanding, and a self-regulated approach to learning
- – Students are guided by both a form tutor and academic tutor, ensuring they receive individualised support and stimulation
- – The St George’s Trailblazer Award, modelled on the six ideals of Round Square, enables students to undertake independent research and action, underpinning problem solving and collaborative work
- – Leadership is promoted at all levels in Years 7 and 8, from ambassadorial responsibilities to involvement in an annual symposium and leadership conference
- – Development of entrepreneurial skills – crucial for the real world. Students will develop a business idea, taking this from concept to product
- – Development of character and confidence: ‘dinners with a difference’ bringing together speakers and thought-provoking ideas, residential trips to develop character and inner-motivation; the delivery of a TEDx style talk nurtures confidence
The PSB is an assessment model based on six core skills:
- Thinking and Learning
- Reviewing and Improving
Students develop an advanced understanding and awareness of these skills across the curriculum, and will be able to understand their strengths and areas for development.
These skills are assessed alongside academic competencies. This sets the PSB apart from a knowledge-based curriculum. Each subject area is developing its own set of subject skills, alongside these core skills.
We recently asked four students who joined St George’s in Year 7 about their experience of Senior Prep so far. The key theme which emerged was one of a welcoming and nurturing environment, where you can be ‘be yourself, no matter what’. To hear more, click on each of the videos below.