HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
St George’s is one of the oldest schools in the United Kingdom, dating back to 1348 when the College of St George was founded by King Edward III. The College of St George, which the school is part of, was inspired by King Arthur’s legendary Knights of the Round Table. At the heart of the college is St George’s Chapel, which was established to provide a spiritual home for the Knights of the Garter.
From the very start, choristers were integral to the daily worship and have been ever since, save for a brief period during the reformation. The choristers were housed in the Castle in a building which still consists of Song School, and is where they rehearse daily. Under the care of the teacher, referred to as the Master Grammar, the boys rehearsed, studied and lived here.
In 1893, the school relocated to the Travers Building, located at the foot of the North Wall of the Castle. The Naval Knights of Windsor occupied this building and were reported to have behaved so badly after regular visits to the tavern, that they were thrown out and their place was taken by the school, still educating the choristers only.
A poignant moment in the school’s history emerged during World War I, when 17 of the 78 old boys of the school were killed in action. A memorial can be found in the north nave aisle of the chapel in their memory.
During the 20th century, the school began to expand, educating non-choristers, still boys from the age of 8-13. During the mid-1990s the school expanded further, to both welcome girls, and open a Pre-Prep (in 1997).
Between 2000-2010 the school expanded further and now educates around 350 children aged 3-13. With a pioneering outlook, the school remains very proud of its history and connection with the College of St George and Windsor Castle. Both the school and the extensive playing fields are on Crown land and we were so privileged to have had HM The Queen as our patron.
For more information about the College of St George, please click here.